Welcome admin !

It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:21 am
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Zen Practice & Philosophy Zen Buddhism

WHAT's NEXT!?!

Discussions of Zen Buddhism in all shapes and sizes.

WHAT's NEXT!?!

Postby jundo on Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:35 am

Almost each week someone asks me, "What comes next in my practice? How do I deepen it? What should I do now? What book should I read with all the secrets? I feel like something is still missing and that I must do more."

But how can I respond to such a question when the very heart of this Path is learning to live and be this life radically freed of the need for 'WHAT'S NEXT', liberated of "something more that need be done," fulfilled of "anything missing'"!

Oh, don't misunderstand. I typically respond that, together with daily sitting, there are some 'this and thats' that we can do to deepen our practice ... such as another 'Zen Book' to read or 'Zen Talk' to hear, studying a bit more of Buddhist and Zen teachings, attending more retreats, adding more practices such as Samu, Bowing, Chanting, Sewing, studying the Precepts or undertaking a Jukai, learning to bring 'Zazen' off the Zafu and to all aspects of life ... all enriching ways to deepen this Practice!

And, though there is "nothing ever missing or in need of adding and doing" ... that does not mean that there are not things to lose, gain or do! Learning to be free of the "need for change" is a REVOLUTIONARY change ... a change helped along by things we need to do and change, such as learning to be less driven by greed anger and ignorance! In this crazy-sane practice, we master how to live 'without need for change' by changing some things about us ... including the view that anything is ever in need of change ... thus bringing about an EARTHSHAKING change in how life is encountered! Oh, a CRAZY-SANE KARMIC KATCH-22!

However, the fundamental Heart of our Path must remain learning to be so intimately At Home, At One with life ... that there is no need for "what's next" ... no hole to fill as "something missing". Our way to do so is simply to sit Shikantaza, dropping all thought and desire for "what's next" ... all while welcoming and embracing whatever comes next.

We westerners especially need this medicine for the dis-ease of always seeming to need the next step, the next stage, the next lesson, the next book, the next guru, the next pair of shoes, the next shiny tower on the hill. I believe that many forms of Zen and other Buddhist Practice these days just feed our sickness of needed next next next more more more.

So, please learn ... in one's heart of hearts ... that "what's next" is learning to live freer and freer of "asking and needing, running after or away from 'what's next'" :)X

I sometimes hear other teachers speak of flavors of Buddhism that promise to liberate us from this world, to encounter states of mind-and-body free of time and space! Many promise to take us from this world or ordinary being to another world or state of being. They seek for such states as "what needs to be done" and (hopefully, if the practice works out) "what's next". I don't much care for such Buddhism.

That's because this Way of Shikantaza, if properly mastered, liberates us from this world right in this world. Time and space are fully realized, dropped away and found again, in each instant of time and inch of space. Our way takes us from this world of ordinary being ... and leaves us squarely right back in this world of ordinary being ... NOW REVEALED AS ANYTHING BUT 'ORDINARY' ALL ALONG.

All that, simply by dropping to the marrow 'what's next'.

'What's next' then turns out to be ...

'NOTHING ELSE IS NEXT, THUS EVERYTHING IS NEXT!

[If you would like to hear more of my pontificating on "What's Next!?!, I gave a little talk here. Follow the link to What's Next. :peace: ]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pwq808U-ig
Founder Treeleaf Zendo, Japan. Member SZBA. Treeleaf is an online Sangha for those unable to commute to a Sangha, w/ netcast Zazen, interaction with other practitioners and teachers & all activities of a Soto Sangha, fully online without charge (http://www.treeleaf.org) Nishijima/Niwa
jundo
Teacher

Re: WHAT's NEXT!?!

Postby Michaeljc on Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:15 am

How odd:

To immerse in the great unchanging now,

we must be swept along within the river of time,

oblivious to the the banks rushing by
Michaeljc

Postby TTT on Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:23 am

Small Haiku
by magnus L.

The question is how am i
and,
what is the mening of it?
The Deep
blue Sea
TTT

Postby jundo on Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:57 pm

TTT wrote:
The question is how am i
and,

If i am stop looking mening deeply
then
the mening clear
Founder Treeleaf Zendo, Japan. Member SZBA. Treeleaf is an online Sangha for those unable to commute to a Sangha, w/ netcast Zazen, interaction with other practitioners and teachers & all activities of a Soto Sangha, fully online without charge (http://www.treeleaf.org) Nishijima/Niwa
jundo
Teacher

Postby organizational on Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:36 pm

Let's do some koan practice.Any recommendation for?
Follow White
organizational

Postby desert_woodworker on Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:51 pm

org'l

Since koan practice is a study (practice... ) between a teacher and a student, I'd say it's advisable to align oneself with a Zen Buddhist teacher and sangha, and thus to have the best of guidance, and safety.

wishes,

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby organizational on Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:58 pm

"this Simple"

i mean, the answer is
Follow White
organizational

Postby TTT on Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:16 pm

jundo wrote:
TTT wrote:
The question is how am i
and,

If i am stop looking mening deeply
then
the mening clear

I hade a good morning to day and i thought of this.
A forest may be a forest. At times it is not that.
So what is it then?

Ps. I have read some books, like in the thai forest tradition, on this thats way.

"Just forest"; arannasanna in pali.

By the way, does any know what contortien, the word, mean?
The Deep
blue Sea
TTT

Postby desert_woodworker on Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:30 pm

hi, TTT,

TTT wrote:By the way, does any know what contortien, the word, mean?

A contortion can be a physical posture that one puts oneself into in order to fit into a small or complicated space, or it can be figurative "posturing" that one puts oneself to in the explanation of some action that one is ashamed of, or in some "contorted" logical description of some deed or behavior, say.

The dictionary may have a more clear definition.

best,

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby lobster on Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:00 am

jundo wrote:I don't much care for such Buddhism.

:tee:

Whatever next? You might care for more or less of the same ... :heya:

Many of us are not fit for the present, our past or the next moment. In other words the constant mindfulness or mindless emptiness is just a constant ... Then what ... :p:

Then we can practice Pureland chanting, Return to the Hinayana/Therevada or even some points based non dharma based system :dance:

I am told it is the compassionate thing to do. Think I'll stick with Mahayana, until something better arrives ... :ghug:

Things to do ... Ninjas to thwart ... :ninja: demons to play with :grr:

flowers to grow ... :daisy:
lobster

Postby TTT on Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:05 am

desert_woodworker wrote:hi, TTT,

TTT wrote:By the way, does any know what contortien, the word, mean?

A contortion can be a physical posture that one puts oneself into in order to fit into a small or complicated space, or it can be figurative "posturing" that one puts oneself to in the explanation of some action that one is ashamed of, or in some "contorted" logical description of some deed or behavior, say.

The dictionary may have a more clear definition.

best,

--Joe

There is a song by a band named fight. Its one of Rob Halford´s bands, the Judas Prist guy.

The song is called contortion, and it stuck to my.
"Contortion in the brain, i can feel the pain..."

Good news!
Soo, its about the sitting postier, hmm, i dont sitt well enought to deal with the at the moment. Later, i guess!
:daisy:

Thank you,
for the definition. Sitting is not my strong card, i enjoy waking a bit more.
There is a exelent book by Zen master Tich Nhat Hanh about waking, its small and its White. I cant remember the name of the book now.. ok, :blah:

Ther he describes different "sorts" of walks, for exemple formless waking. walking with pride, etc...
Its a bit like a meditation practis.

I listen to a dharma video and i feelt somthing. So, i asked myslef a question, what, and why to see that?
Humans, and others have the capacity to love and to feel. Its a fact.
Ther is a movie about this : its called The villige; and its about braking with the ego, leaving it for somthing greater.
I am thinking of it now.

Void is and will Always be.
And, evelution is a fight. A struggle and a strife?

:grr:

:Namaste:
The Deep
blue Sea
TTT

Return to Zen Buddhism