Welcome admin !

It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:25 pm
Pathway:  Board index General Buddhist Discussion Theravadan Buddhism

Dhammakaya movement

Discussion of Theravada Buddhism in the light of Zen.

Dhammakaya movement

Postby klqv on Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:54 pm

Anyone know much about these - especially its philosophy or doctrinal innovations? Strange there's so little academic coverage of it as it looks to be a big movement.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2 ... dhist_kind

Here's some pictures, crowds are awesome :lol2:
God is dead!
klqv

Re: Dhammakaya movement

Postby Anders on Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:58 pm

I think it's because it's not really taken seriously by anyone with an academic foundation. They have some very weird views on otherwise pretty standard Buddhist tenets.
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"
--- Gandavyuha Sutra
Anders

Postby Viscid on Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:54 pm

I hear you can buy some pretty good merit from them for dirt cheap.
For by the unceasing and absolute renunciation of yourself and of all things, you may be borne on high, through pure and entire self-abnegation, into the super-essential radiance of the divine darkness.
Viscid

Postby klqv on Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:04 pm

i only steal merit but thanks :lol2:
God is dead!
klqv

Postby klqv on Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:27 am

Conclusion
The myth regarding an ultimate ''showdown'' between White and Black Dhammakaya, and Phra Dhammajayo being an Avatara and part of the original white Dhammakaya party indicate a millenarian mindset. What is unclear is the extent of acceptance of this myth a among Wat Phra Dhammakaya members. How many is ''many Wat Phra Dhammakaya devotees believe their movement is their last train to world salvation” ? (Ekachai, 1998:9). Monastics at the temple and informed lay people usually (and understandably) do not wish to discuss the nature of this spiritual conflict with outsiders. While lineage is important to Wat Phra Dhammakya, this does not alter the faith of many members who believe in Phra : Dhammachayo's ability to ensure their continuing prosperity , and ultimate deliverance from the destructive forces of the Black Dhammakaya.
God is dead!
klqv

Postby klqv on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:37 pm

From: MJBS – The Mahachulalongkorn Journal of Buddhist Studies – Volume 1, 2008

Indeed, Phra Dhammajayo's followers “believe him to be a messiah and a reincarnation of the Buddha (Bangkok Post 21.12.98)
?
God is dead!
klqv

Postby TTT on Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:51 pm

yeah its the new moment.
Vote now!
We need you!
When
TTT

Postby Boatman Bodhisattva on Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:28 pm

The Dhammakaya movement, like Falun Gong in China, is a religious movement persecuted by a corrupt government because its popularity poses a perceived threat to the state's stranglehold on power.
I mean no disrespect to forum members on my ignore list. Gassho. __/\__

"Reciting the name of the Buddha constantly... His own body is the limitless body of Amida, the treasure trees of seven precious gems, the pond of the eight virtues." - Hakuin Ekaku

https://matthewsatori.tumblr.com/
Boatman Bodhisattva

Postby Caodemarte on Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:11 pm

Boatman Bodhisattva wrote:The Dhammakaya movement, like Falun Gong in China, is a religious movement persecuted by a corrupt government because its popularity poses a perceived threat to the state's stranglehold on power.

Well, perhaps partially. Both are also regarded as corrupt wacky cults amassing financial and political power. Not saying they are or are not; just how they are seen by many. Look up the Taiping Rebellion if you have any doubt about how sensitive any Chinese government is to this sort of thing. They fear such groups almost as much as they fear the emergence of proletariat/peasant political party (they remember how they came to power).
Caodemarte
Global Moderator

Postby Boatman Bodhisattva on Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:16 am

Caodemarte wrote:
Boatman Bodhisattva wrote:The Dhammakaya movement, like Falun Gong in China, is a religious movement persecuted by a corrupt government because its popularity poses a perceived threat to the state's stranglehold on power.

Well, perhaps partially. Both are also regarded as corrupt wacky cults amassing financial and political power. Not saying they are or are not; just how they are seen by many. Look up the Taiping Rebellion if you have any doubt about how sensitive any Chinese government is to this sort of thing. They fear such groups almost as much as they fear the emergence of proletariat/peasant political party (they remember how they came to power).

There's reason to believe that the self-immolation of Falun Gong members was a staged event, in order for the Chinese government to label it as a dangerous cult:

Discrepancies pointed out by the False Fire documentary [40]

According to the documentary False Fire, Liu Chunling, the only self-immolator to have died on the scene, appears to collapse from being bludgeoned on the head by a man in military suit.
False Fire, a NTDTV attempt to deconstruct the event[41] points out several inconsistencies in the Chinese Government's version of the story, including:[8][42]
Liu Chunling, the only self-immolator who died on the spot appears to fall from being bludgeoned on the head by a man in military suit. The programme argues that Liu could have died from a severe blow to the head.
The self immolators appear to be wearing several layers of, possibly fire-protective, clothing and masks. The hair and bottle of gasoline at the feet of an alleged self-immolator are intact, although this should have caught fire first.
Police, who normally are not known to carry fire extinguishers on duty, appeared to have used almost 25 pieces of fire-fighting equipment on hand on the day of the self-immolations. The nearest building is 10 minutes away and footage shows that only two police vehicles were at the scene. The flames were put out in less than a minute's time.
The camera of the CCTV footage zooms in on the scene as it unfolds; surveillance cameras in Tiananmen Square are usually fixed.
Wang Jindong shouts comments that do not form part of Falun Dafa teachings; his posture, including hand position and sitting position, does not reflect the full or half lotus position required in Falun Dafa exercises.
The hospital treatment of the victims, as recorded by Chinese state media, is inconsistent with proper care of severe burn victims: for instance, patients were not kept in sterile rooms.
The girl who allegedly underwent a tracheotomy appeared to be able to speak and sing clearly mere days after the surgery.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiananmen ... g_response
I mean no disrespect to forum members on my ignore list. Gassho. __/\__

"Reciting the name of the Buddha constantly... His own body is the limitless body of Amida, the treasure trees of seven precious gems, the pond of the eight virtues." - Hakuin Ekaku

https://matthewsatori.tumblr.com/
Boatman Bodhisattva

Postby Guo Gu on Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:54 am

klqv wrote:Anyone know much about these - especially its philosophy or doctrinal innovations? Strange there's so little academic coverage of it as it looks to be a big movement.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2 ... dhist_kind

Here's some pictures, crowds are awesome :lol2:

i've met some monastics there in taiwan. they at one time established a monastic exchange program with dharma drum. so they sent their monks to study at our headquarter in taiwan and we sent monks to their temple in thailand to practice.

as a result, the reason they wanted this exchange program was because they want to find if there are any mahayana scriptural bases to their founder's "crystal meditation" method (since their method of practice is absent in the pali canon). we ended the exchange program after a few years for this and other reasons.

my late teacher (master sheng yen) had me learn their meditation method to experience their stages of practice, insights, and caveats. yes, he often asked me to learn different methods as learn their strength and weaknesses. i gotta say, their method and spiritual goal goes contrary to buddhist precepts (of using supernatural powers to help ppl) and doctrine (of anātman and śūnyatā).

hope this helps,
guo gu
Founder and teacher of Tallahassee Chan Center of the Dharma Drum Lineage of Chan Buddhism
http://www.tallahasseechan.org/
Received inka from Master Sheng Yen (1930-2009) in 1995
Guo Gu
Teacher

Postby fukasetsu on Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:16 pm

Guo Gu wrote: i gotta say, their method and spiritual goal goes contrary to buddhist precepts (of using supernatural powers to help ppl)

I didn't know that was a precept Guo Gu.

Does the precept mean one should not cultivate supernatural powers willingly (which I get)
But what if one is born with certain abilities most humans have not, for instance without searching for ppl to save or dwelling on one's abilities,
if crossing the street and one would see someone about to be hit by a car, one would spontaneously stop the car via one's abilities, would that violate the precepts? Sounds weird to me running into a house on fire to save someone not using supernatural powers would then also violate the precepts right?

So my guess is it means no practise to cultivate those abilities.
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby Guo Gu on Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:58 am

fuki,
yes it has to do with the USE if supernatural powers. the buddha prohibited its use bcuz some monks began to exhibit their use and gain lay support; then,
ppl start to derail from the main point of practice: ending of suffering through wisdom. saving ppl who live in a house on fire (where we live) requires wisdom.
of course ppl born with it or ppl who natural obtain it as a side product of practice is not the issue here. when a grp starts to advertise it to the laity, that's a problem. ppl are attracted to such powers, and wealth, corruption, and abuse are the inevitable result (sooner or later).
the point is: solving problems with these powers will never really solve anything. at most, the problems are only delayed. suffering must be solved by wisdom... and compassion may be the means.
be well,
guo gu
Founder and teacher of Tallahassee Chan Center of the Dharma Drum Lineage of Chan Buddhism
http://www.tallahasseechan.org/
Received inka from Master Sheng Yen (1930-2009) in 1995
Guo Gu
Teacher

Postby fukasetsu on Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:20 pm

Thanks GG, it's clear and agreeable.

Last week I saw a Buddhist write somewhere that if you say something you shouldn't about the Buddha then according to the Lotus Sutra you'll go to avici hell or something. That level of delusion and fanatic attachments to religious ideas and views is just cult like.

To me this is also abuse, and I see it more then I'd like, sometimes gross and sometimes subtle right under our noses.
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Return to Theravadan Buddhism