Welcome Visitor !

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:53 am
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Zen Practice & Philosophy Zen Buddhism Sŏn

100-days practice

Discussions of Korean 선종 / Sŏn / Seon / Soen Buddhism.

100-days practice

Postby nowornever on Wed May 25, 2011 8:05 am

Who did such a long practice? What did you do for 100 days? Who is in the progress?

I tried many times. I usually(once I did but it was about my bad habit, not a formal zen meditation) gave up-something gave it another direction.
On 19.06 I'll finish a 108bows-for-100-days practice, if I persevere..

Founder of Kwan Um got enlightenment after a rigorous 100-days practice(20h a day):
"...For twenty hours every day he chanted the Great Dharani of Original Mind Energy. Several times a day he took ice-cold baths. It was a very rigorous practice..."
http://www.kwanumzen.org/author/zen-master-seung-sahn/
nowornever

Re: 100-days practice

Postby nowornever on Mon May 30, 2011 11:44 pm

You begin a 100-day, 3-month, 49-day, 1-week etc. etc. practice and something gives it another direction as it is somehow mechanical and life is a living thing. What do you do? Start from beginning, lie to yourself and others, give up...?

"...Soen-sa had already understood the sutras. He realized that the only important thing now was practice. So ten days after his ordination, he went further up into the mountains and began a one-hundred-day retreat on Won Gak Mountain (the Mountain of Perfect Enlightenment)..."
nowornever

Postby nowornever on Tue May 31, 2011 9:24 pm

500 bows done today :)
How could DSSN practice formally 20h a day for 100 days?
I admire him though he had doubts as well packing and unpacking 9 times!... fortunatelly he didnt give up.
nowornever

Postby nowornever on Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:46 pm

Since nobody wants to share their 100-day practice
(after yesterday's 5x108 on my knees today my karma speeds up, miracles happen along with feedback from students about my mistakes-they always felt it but now they are willing to tell me about my faults, I mean it. There is something mysterious in these :bow: :bow: :bow: )
I would like to ask moderators to delete this topic as I am talking to myself only..

Maybe doing itself is enough...thank you for your teachings.
nowornever

Postby nowornever on Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:52 pm

The more I am in the forum the less I practise.
To be or not to be?
That's the question.
nowornever

Postby Jok_Hae on Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Hello nowornever,

Two things come to mind:

1.) Is practice to be defined by only formal practices (bowing, sitting, chanting, etc)?

2.) Also, a humble suggestion. We have thread called Meditation Journal. You may want to participate there
with Mike (Ko Shin).

As far as 100 days practice goes, I have been in the habit of doing bows everyday while winter Kyol Che at Diamond Hill is in session. When the time comes, I would be happy to join you in this style practice, in the Meditation Journal thread.

Good luck and thanks for practicing,
Keith
You make, you get

New Haven Zen Center
Jok_Hae

Postby nowornever on Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:07 am

Keith- not doing bowing, sitting or chanting, etc is just an excuse.
Thank you for joining this Meditation Journal thread.
I am looking forward to seeing you join this style practice soon. Together practice makes perfect.
non
nowornever

Return to Sŏn