Welcome admin !

It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:29 am
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Zen Practice & Philosophy Zen Buddhism Chán

gems from chan master hongzhi

Discussion of Chinese Chán (禪) Buddhism.

Re: gems from chan master hongzhi

Postby macdougdoug on Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:30 pm

Guo Gu wrote:“Having no-mind one attains the way of no-mind. Attaining no-mind in himself, the way as well ceases to be.” With clear awareness, one takes up the responsibility of helping [sentient beings] as if one is sitting in perfect silence. As for the wondrous activity of leisurely entering the world, it is something you must dig into and investigate in this fashion!

Where do I abide? Where do all the other sentient beings abide? Are we the same or different?

When all my actions are dictated by my fears and desires, am I alone in suffering the consequences? To be here for you, I must first be free from me.
macdougdoug
Global Moderator

Postby ed blanco on Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:11 pm

BIRTH IS THUS
DEATH IS THUS
VERSE OR NO VERSE
WHAT'S THE FUSS

from "Swampland Flowers"

:O:
IT SPEAKS IN SILENCE
IN SPEECH YOU HEAR ITS SILENCE

Yongjia Xuanjue
ed blanco

Postby Guo Gu on Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:31 pm

Seeker242 wrote:
Guo Gu wrote:
so what do you all say about:
"Knowing without encountering things; illuminating without opposing conditions."

As in what does it mean? Ok, I'll give it a go. :) Knowing without encountering things means that you know that originally there aren't any things to encounter to begin with. Like it says in the heart sutra, all 5 skandhas are empty. Illuminating without opposing conditions means that you don't make good and bad. And because no condition is bad, there is no reason to oppose any.

The problem with all that though is that it doesn't actually help any. It doesn't help any because it presents 2 additional questions about the meaning of that explanation. For example, what does it actually mean for all 5 skandhas to be empty? Or, how do you actually stop making good and bad? Then an explanation will be given to answer those 2 additional questions, which causes 2 more additional questions about that explanation, which necessitate additional explanations, which produce more questions! ad infinitum!

seeker,
how d you stop good and bad? :heya:
guo gu
Founder and teacher of Tallahassee Chan Center of the Dharma Drum Lineage of Chan Buddhism
http://www.tallahasseechan.com/
Received inka from Master Sheng Yen (1930-2009) in 1995
Guo Gu
Teacher

Postby Guo Gu on Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:32 pm

macdougdoug wrote:
Guo Gu wrote:“Having no-mind one attains the way of no-mind. Attaining no-mind in himself, the way as well ceases to be.” With clear awareness, one takes up the responsibility of helping [sentient beings] as if one is sitting in perfect silence. As for the wondrous activity of leisurely entering the world, it is something you must dig into and investigate in this fashion!

Where do I abide? Where do all the other sentient beings abide? Are we the same or different?

When all my actions are dictated by my fears and desires, am I alone in suffering the consequences? To be here for you, I must first be free from me.

be here. how can you not?
guo gu
Founder and teacher of Tallahassee Chan Center of the Dharma Drum Lineage of Chan Buddhism
Guo Gu
Teacher

Postby Guo Gu on Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:23 am

hi all,
another one for your enjoyment:

The correct way of practice is to simply sit in stillness, and silently investigate; deep down there is a state one reaches where externally one is no longer swirled about by causes and conditions. The mind being empty, it is all embracing; its luminosity being wondrous, it is precisely apt and impartial. Internally there are no thoughts of grasping after things; vast and solitary, being just as it is—free from confusion. Alive and potent, all dependency and opposition are severed; one remains self-contained. Being self-contained has nothing to do with emotional feelings; one does not rely on anything at all. Being quite outstanding, [this state of suchness] is full of life and spirit, and does not fall into defiled appearance; one finds a resting place. Pure and immaculate, it is bright; being bright, it is penetrating. It is able to respond smoothly in accordance with phenomena, where phenomena do not obstruct each other. Floating effortlessly, clouds appear on mountain peaks; shining boldly, the reflections of the moon flow along mountain streams. Everywhere—there are radiant luminosity and spiritual transformations; clearly, appearances are unobstructed! Mutually responding, like a cover to a container or the tip of a sword meeting a shooting arrow’s point. With further training and nourishing, it [e.g., the practice] ripens. Its essence becomes firm and stable; it penetrates every place freely. Cut off sharp corners; don’t speak of theories [of right and wrong]. Like a white ox or a tamed ferret that naturally [and willingly] responds to any command—one can then be called a true person. Therefore it is said, “Having the Dao of no-mind, one can be like this; having not yet gained no-mind, it is extremely difficult!”

真實做處。唯靜坐默究。深有所詣。外不被因緣流轉。其心虛則容。其照妙則準。內無攀緣之思。廓然獨存而不昏。靈然絕待而自得。得處不屬情。須豁蕩了無依倚。卓卓自神。始得不隨垢相。箇處歇得。淨淨而明。明而通。便能順應還來對事。事事無礙。飄飄出岫雲。濯濯流澗月。一切處光明神變。了無滯相。的的相應。函蓋箭鋒相似。更教養得熟體得穩。隨處歷歷地。絕稜角勿道理。似白牯貍奴恁麼去。喚作十成底漢。所以道。無心道者能如此。未得無心也大難。

be free,
guo gu
Guo Gu
Teacher

Postby flutemaker on Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:49 pm

Guo Gu wrote:another one for your enjoyment:

The correct way of practice is to simply sit in stillness, and silently investigate; deep down there is a state one reaches where externally one is no longer swirled about by causes and conditions.

How can there be any enjoyment?

Deep down there is a state one reaches where burning, unsatisfied, innermost desire of one's heart, with no object, with no cause, and with no explanation, resides. There are three roads from that point. One can try to turn away from it, but this road doesn't lead far, or one can go deeper, and dive right in the middle of it, but this road is similar to walking naked through hell's fire, or when it becomes unbearable one can try to run from it into a remote place, where sounds, sights and smells of human world just don't reach, and let everything dissolve and merge with the fierce autumn storm, who would then carry it all away, together with your heart and mind.

Guo Gu, where are you, your last visit was recorded a while back, hopefully all is well there, but if not you just have to exercise your body carefully please, even against your mind's will, to last longer in this lifetime, and in a good shape, even if that would be contrary to the law of causation.
flutemaker

Postby Guo Gu on Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:50 pm

hi flutemaker,
thanks. i tweaked my back so was out of commission. i'm alright now.
as for enjoyment, there's joy when your heart is free from burden vexations.
if that doesn't work, send me your vexations (just don't send me your bills) every time they arise. just say to yourself, "go to guo gu. i am not available." that way, you're free.
here for you,
guo gu
Guo Gu
Teacher

Postby flutemaker on Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:29 pm

Guo Gu wrote:i tweaked my back so was out of commission. i'm alright now.

You were pulling someone straight towards liberation, and it was too hard?..

Guo Gu wrote:send me your vexations (just don't send me your bills) every time they arise.

You mean, 100-dollar bills? OK, I won't. But to sort good vexations from bad vexations, where do I start? Is everything that arise -- "vexations"? As of recently I've been investigating one thing that I still have no clue about, though am familiar with it for more than 20 years. Say, you go far away from civilized "world", into wilderness, or maybe in your case to a solitary retreat, where absolutely none of the sounds, smells and sights of human activity can be perceived, where no cell phone signal reach, you see, like that... should be some 15 - 20 miles into any sort of wilderness (desert, mountains, forest, you choose). Then, there is a "switching" to a certain new kind of functioning of your entire "body/mind/feelings" system. Maybe 2 - 3 hours are enough. maybe 24 hours. Not sure how (if at all) this works with others. But this new mode of functioning is accompanied by a certain "emotional" (for the want of a better word) background. Maybe due to the transformation of one's perceptions state into some "free" or "unrestricted" and "open" mode. Still don't know how all the mechanics works. But is this a "vexation", when, upon investigation, I find this state favorable and beneficial? Returning into the "world" -- there is always "switching" back. Gradual or more sudden, but always undesired. I would send you this "vexation" for your analysis. But how do I package it? It won't fit into a business envelope...
flutemaker

Postby jundo on Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:58 am

Guo Gu wrote:hi all,
another one for your enjoyment:

The correct way of practice is to simply sit in stillness, and silently investigate; deep down there is a state one reaches where externally one is no longer swirled about by causes and conditions. The mind being empty, it is all embracing; its luminosity being wondrous, it is precisely apt and impartial. Internally there are no thoughts of grasping after things; vast and solitary, being just as it is—free from confusion. Alive and potent, all dependency and opposition are severed; one remains self-contained. Being self-contained has nothing to do with emotional feelings; one does not rely on anything at all. Being quite outstanding, [this state of suchness] is full of life and spirit, and does not fall into defiled appearance; one finds a resting place. Pure and immaculate, it is bright; being bright, it is penetrating. It is able to respond smoothly in accordance with phenomena, where phenomena do not obstruct each other. Floating effortlessly, clouds appear on mountain peaks; shining boldly, the reflections of the moon flow along mountain streams. Everywhere—there are radiant luminosity and spiritual transformations; clearly, appearances are unobstructed! Mutually responding, like a cover to a container or the tip of a sword meeting a shooting arrow’s point. With further training and nourishing, it [e.g., the practice] ripens. Its essence becomes firm and stable; it penetrates every place freely. Cut off sharp corners; don’t speak of theories [of right and wrong]. Like a white ox or a tamed ferret that naturally [and willingly] responds to any command—one can then be called a true person. Therefore it is said, “Having the Dao of no-mind, one can be like this; having not yet gained no-mind, it is extremely difficult!”

真實做處。唯靜坐默究。深有所詣。外不被因緣流轉。其心虛則容。其照妙則準。內無攀緣之思。廓然獨存而不昏。靈然絕待而自得。得處不屬情。須豁蕩了無依倚。卓卓自神。始得不隨垢相。箇處歇得。淨淨而明。明而通。便能順應還來對事。事事無礙。飄飄出岫雲。濯濯流澗月。一切處光明神變。了無滯相。的的相應。函蓋箭鋒相似。更教養得熟體得穩。隨處歷歷地。絕稜角勿道理。似白牯貍奴恁麼去。喚作十成底漢。所以道。無心道者能如此。未得無心也大難。

be free,
guo gu

Just Lovely

Gassho; J
Founder Treeleaf Zendo, Japan. Member SZBA. Treeleaf is an online Sangha for those unable to commute to a Sangha, w/ netcast Zazen, interaction with other practitioners and teachers & all activities of a Soto Sangha, fully online without charge (http://www.treeleaf.org) Nishijima/Niwa
jundo
Teacher

Postby organizational on Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:26 am

Gassho jundo

My father was continuously saying that "let's get a bed to you" "let's get a bed to you" and finally we went outside and bought a new bed to me.I wanted the bed a hard made one.But couldn't use it when we got it at home.And what did i do? I put the old one just on the new one.And still using it in this way.Now I have no problem any longer with my back.

Just is my bed story.don't know what lessons to take

Still is my point.

regards

_/\_
Follow White
organizational

Postby organizational on Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:05 pm

Thank you jundo I find the answer.

"Evidences are to give provision (ruling)."
Follow White
organizational

Postby organizational on Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:08 pm

And a tip:

When you throw all the evidence to the trash can, you become an eagle and have an eagle view.
Follow White
organizational

Postby organizational on Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:47 pm

Words open words:

As to say, I know alot of folks around here where i live who built their strategy only on just doing the opposite of eagle (view).They are so called crows.I will not use bad language to them.

I want to say them a word.
"How beautiful is the (full) moon."
Follow White
organizational

Postby Guo Gu on Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:51 pm

another lovely passage:

wide and far-reaching without limit; pure and clean, it emits light. its spiritual potency is unobscured. although it is bright, there are no objects of illumination. it can be said to be empty, yet this emptiness is [full of] luminosity. it illumines in self-purity, beyond the working of causes and conditions, apart from subject and object. its wondrousness and subtleties are ever present; its luminosity is also vast and open. moreover, this is not something that can be conceived of as existence or nonexistence. nor can it be deliberated about with words and analogies. right here—at this pivotal axle, opening the swinging gate and clearing the way, it is able to respond effortlessly to circumstances—the great function is free from hindrances. at all places, turning and turning about, it does not follow conditions nor can it be trapped in models. in the midst of everything, it settles securely. with “that,” it is identical to what “that” is; with “this,” it is identical to what “this” is. “this and that” inter-fuse and merge without distinction. therefore it is said, “like the earth that holds up a mountain, unaware of its steepness and loftiness; like the stone that contains jade, unaware of the flawlessness of the jade. if one can be thus, this is truly leaving home. people who have left home must get hold of the essence in this way. (T. 48: 73c25-74a4)

most ppl who read these teachings just read them as poetics, but there are so many embedded instructions on how this teaching can be applied in practice...

- correct view of emptiness, selflessness, and purity
- what are thoughts?
- how to engage with the world?
- what kind of attitude should guide practice?
- whether there are "obstructions" out there in the world?
- the meaning of home leaving

just to name a few...

enjoy,
guo gu
Guo Gu
Teacher

Postby babybuddha on Tue May 02, 2017 7:26 am

Wonderful passages and translation GG, thank you.

To know noise is to see silence.
In the space of stillness when there are
no movements, nothing arises.
Like the open sky before clouds,
Before reflecting the sun's rays,
before transforming the water molecules,
before giving the air of life.
Keep the light shinning, water flowing
and nurture the flower. It will grow on its own accord.
babybuddha

Previous

Return to Chán